Monday 17 November 2014

Fight day has arrived…
I have mostly talked about Japan and Korea as places in this blog so far, sometimes it is better not to think about boxing apart from when you are training, as distractions can be good; because it’s never far from our thoughts, and always in the back of your mind, that everything you are doing, all that work, commitment, and dedication, comes down to just 8 minutes, crazy when you think about it!
The build up to the start of the tournament this week has been immense, all over Jeju (the city we are in) there are tons of teams of boxers, coaches, and support staff walking around in their national kit. It is like a huge round-the-world buffet but for different cultures! On every inch of space, in car parks, back streets, parks and school playgrounds, there are teams skipping, shadow boxing, and frantically running around in sweat suits to make weight and prepare for fights! The sheer size of the event and number of people involved from all over the world has been overwhelming, I’ve certainly never been part of an event so big. However, it has mostly made me very proud, firstly it is a real indication of how women’s boxing has progressed; and secondly I am proud to be here as a competitor and representing my country. I watched the opening ceremony last night and it really brought it home to me just what a huge event this is to be a part of.
In amateur boxing, you often hear people say, that it’s possible to do well at big tournaments, but it ‘all depends on the draw.’ The draw is just like the FA cup in football, where the numbers of the individual boxers randomly come up and they are drawn against one another.  Everybody hopes for the draw to be ‘kind’ to them (which basically means a fight against an opponent they can beat in the first round, to allow them to get warmed into the tournament etc.)
The draw was yesterday (Sunday,) we all waited anxiously for the results of the draw, as much as we tried to relax we all had elephants in our bellies! Anyway, I have drawn the number one ranked 69kg in the world rankings, the hugely experienced World silver medallist, and current European champion – she beat me in the Euro final in June this year. Obviously, this is not an ideal first round draw. However, this is where sport truly tests us. Just like I tell you all in PACE (and other students at school, too) when things are going great, it isn’t really testing us...it’s when things get tough that our character really comes through. And if I’m going to say that to all of you, then I need to set that example myself. So, today (Monday) around 12-12.30 UK time (9.30pm ish for me in Korea) I will take on the Azerbijani once again, this time in the first round of my first ever world championships.
We have a great team behind us here, nutritionist, doctor, video analyst, physio, sports psychologist, the best coaches in the world, and great team mates, too. They are the people who are behind me, preparing me, and who I trust completely to help me be victorious in this fight. I will put my faith in them and follow their instructions, I will rise above the doubts, cast aside my fears of losing, and focus on how I’m going to win, and for the 8 minutes that I am in the ring, I will give absolutely everything I have to try and take a step closer to my dream; after all, that’s all any of us can do, whether it’s boxing or in life, we can only do our best.
Thank you so very much for your support, fingers crossed 

Miss Copeland
Me and my room mate, Sandy Ryan, in our hotel. Sandy boxed last night and won!


Making weight is one of the hardest parts of boxing…no sweets until after the tournament! 

The start of the opening ceremony last night

Sandy fighting last night, there she is, up on the big screen! 

Team GB, ready to take on the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment